The partnership between master blade smith Johan Gustafsson and watchmaker Patrik Sjogren was forged to provide truly unique watches, inspired by the beauty of northern Scandinavia and the ancient Swedish tradition of metallurgy.
This year’s BaselWorld saw the debut of their new Bifrost collection, and the main attraction was a prototype of the Isblå (ice blue). Production of the Isblå is now well underway and the first pieces have been delivered. They are delighted with the positive response that has been received for the design and new features in this particular collection.
The Bifrost collection is the first ever GoS dress watch and what they believe to be the first ever damascus steel watch of its size. This is one of most expressive and intricate dress watches available, and owing to its more modest size it looks great on a lady’s wrist as well.
One of the major design differences between the Bifrost and our previous models is in the bezel. They chose to emphasize the pattern of the dial and present a more refined case. The sunray burst of the steel bezel draws the focus and attention towards the dial where the index ring has been redesigned to give the dial more space to shine.
As with all GoS watches, every Bifrost Isblå is a unique piece, and individually numbered. The initial Bifrost Isblå models will be limited to 25pcs, with further versions based on additional color themes to follow, including bicolour gold/damascus steel versions.
The Bifrost collection represents the first GoS model to feature Johan Gustafsson’s newly developed “high contrast” stainless damascus steel. The case features this fantastic new material, as does the rotor which is shaped like the GoS triskele symbol. The design of the case and case back is such that the weight of the rotor is hidden, showing only the movement and the triskele shaped damascus steel rotor. Though the movement is not really on show as much as in other pieces, this allows the rotor shapes and the way it looks when it spins to be more striking.
A pattern of such clarity and intricacy is very rare in a dial, normally they are plain with some form of type. In this instance a real feature has been made of the material used for the dial, it almost looks organic with a the pattern having a striking resemblance to year rings found in trees. It also glimmers in the light light a fine jewel which makes it even more attractive.
The hands of the Bifrost Isblå are formed from solid white gold, bearing the same the GoS sword shape that premiered in the Stockholm model. All hands and index rings are hand finished with polished bevels and a “satinized “top. The Bifrost Isblå’s strap is crafted from soft, black nubuck. The matte surface of the strap blends well with the damascus steel finish of the case. These handmade GoS straps are paired with a stainless steel GoS buckle, and are secured by screws to the case’s lugs. A very rugged look, I especially love the finish and texture of the nubuck with the texture of the damascus steel.
Specifications – GoS Bifrost – Isblå
Watch series – Bifrost
● Case: Stainless steel and stainless “high contrast” damascus steel 42.5mmx9.5mm (5ATM)
● Lug width: 22mm
● Glass: Flat sapphire glass with AR coating
● Movement: Swiss automatic – Soprod A10
● Movement refinement: Finished with circular Geneva stripes and specified to chronometre grade.
● Movement customization: GoS symbol damascus steel rotor
● Dial: Solid damascus steel tempered to an ice blue nuance
● Index ring/rehaut: Solid 18K white gold
● Hands: Solid 18K white gold shaped and polished by hand
● Crown: 8mm in finegrained stainless damascus stainless steel, double gasket crown inset
● Case finishing: “High contrast” stainless damascus steel, high gloss polished with GoS logo engraved on
● Case back finished with circular grains
● Strap: Handcrafted soft nubuck leather, fitted with GoS stainless steel buckle
● Every watch engraved with its production number
● Limitation: 25pieces
● Two year guarantee
● Individually crafted box in svepask technique of birch wood
● Colored with natural pigments mixed in linseed oil
● Covered with high grade natural wax and polished to a deep finish